PetFinder.com has set up a whole Web site devoted to finding homes for deaf dogs and cats, in celebration of Deaf Awareness Week. Page after page of wonderful, loving, rescue animals that need a little extra attention, because they’re deaf. Research has shown that teaching deaf dogs to follow basic Sign language commands isn’t difficult at all.
PetFinder. com is a huge organization, and I applaud them for using Deaf Awareness Week as an opportunity to help not only these wonderful and needy animals, but to help us as well. Deaf or hearing, there’s nothing in this world that can love you like a dog. These animals have 50 millennia of breeding specifically for that purpose – to love Humans.
I’m glad to help support them in this worthy cause – and at this most propitious of times.
The good news is that as I click through these links, I find a surprising number of animals that have already been adopted. So, although that means the pool is diminishing, it also means that these forgotten members of our society have been saved. And in the world of animal rescue, where there are far too few no-kill shelters, those dogs and cats that aren’t adopted quickly – are far too often, destroyed.
I have always been a supporter of PetFinder. com, but I really love the idea of having a drive to rescue deaf animals during Deaf Awareness Week. It speaks volumes as to the amount of heart this organization’s executives have.
Congratulations, PetFinder.com – DeafInPrison.com gives you two thumbs up.
- Day 1, Deaf Awareness Week (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- Smart911 Honors Deaf Awareness Week (sacbee.com)
- Deaf Awareness Week – Day 2: Deaf Art Exibit – From Jean F. Andrews (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- International Week of the Deaf 9-24-12 to 9-30-12 (schoolpsychscholar.com)
- Why Deaf Girl Amy Is on a Mission to Help the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (lipreadingmom.com)
- Deaf Boy Teaches Deaf Dog Sign Language (fox4kc.com)
- Smart911 Honors Deaf Awareness Week (prnewswire.com)
- Not Providing Interpreters for Deaf Persons Can Result in Tragedy as Loss of Life as Well as Be Costly for Jail Systems (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- What I Learned from a (Deaf) Baseball Player (lipreadingmom.com)
- What I Learned from a (Deaf) Baseball Player – From Lipreading Mom (deafinprison.wordpress.com)