I just learned that only 2 states out of 50 have laws mandating hearing aid coverage. Even so, those laws are ridden with loopholes allowing insurance companies leeway in opting out of providing the coverage. An entry level hearing aid, the Siemens Motion 300, costs 16,00 bucks. A top of the line model can go as high as 3,000. And that’s for each ear.
Cynthia Dixon, who writes 4 eyes, 4 ears, and has been so helpful to DeafInPrison.com, informs me that many HoH adults are forced to turn to vocational rehab, in the hopes that they will provide what health insurance won’t.
A member of the FaceBook group, Deaf and Hard of Hearing – Kat Pol, is endeavoring to start a letter writing campaign to bring awareness of this issue to the public and legislators.
BitcoDavid is a blogger and a blog site consultant. In former lives, he was an audio engineer, a videographer, a teacher – even a cab driver. He is an avid health and fitness enthusiast and a Pro/Am boxer. He has spent years working with diet and exercise to combat obesity and obesity related illness.
- Let the Taser do the Talking, Or… (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- DeafInPrison rough in Britain, Too (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- Special needs woman’s false teeth, hearing aides stolen after surgery (wcnc.com)
- Through social media, woman receives hearing aid from stranger (ksl.com)
- Let Georgia Hear (georgiapathway.wordpress.com)
- Are My Hearing Aids Obvious? A Guest Post by Gael Hannan (lipreadingmom.com)
- New Device Could Help Millions Of People With Hearing Loss In One Ear (boston.cbslocal.com)
- How can I get headphones to work with my hearing aids? (ask.metafilter.com)
- Man accused of punching wife, breaking her hearing aid (nwfdailynews.com)
- New CAM2, software promises improved sound quality in hearing aids (healthandcare.in)