Craig Egan made this video after he had a harrowing experience with a security guard. He writes, ” I am traumatized! Please watch my video from the beginning to the end. I am sending one STRONG message that everybody needs to build a better awareness.”
Apparently Egan was attempting to gain access to a building which required inputting a password ID. That Egan was attempting to enter a password known to him, suggests that he had rights to be in this particular building. The assumption is that it was his place of employment. When his password failed to work, he was approached by a security guard. Egan is Deaf, and could not hear the guard’s attempts at communication. When he finally looked in the direction of the guard, it was too late. Feeling threatened, the guard went for his gun.
This is but one more example of what happens when ill-trained authorities interact with the Deaf. Had the individual received proper training beforehand, he would have known to tap Egan lightly, on the shoulder, and to speak directly to him after having established eye contact. Further training would have even made it possible for the guard to communicate with Egan via ASL, or an interpreter.
As it was, it would have taken very little for this episode to have escalated into a disaster.
Here is the link to the youtube Video.
Learn more about all this by requesting to join the Deaf and Hard of Hearing group on FaceBook.
BitcoDavid is a blogger and a blog site consultant. In former lives, he was an audio engineer, a videographer, a teacher – even a cab driver. He is an avid health and fitness enthusiast and a Pro/Am boxer. He has spent years working with diet and exercise to combat obesity and obesity related illness.
- My Pick of the Year’s Best Posts (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- January at DeafInPrison.com (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- Let the Taser do the Talking, Or… (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- San Francisco Animator Explains Drug War (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- Homeless Deaf Uses ASL Relay – From the NYT (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- Deaf CCA Inmate Sues DC for Mistreatment (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- What, No Digest Post? (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- DeafInPrison rough in Britain, Too (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- Law Enforcement Incentivized to Lie in Drug War (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- Women’s Playground Movie Pulls No Punches (deafinprison.wordpress.com)