In the first decade of this century, the number of state inmates in private prisons increased by 80%, but the number of Federal inmates, saw gains in the area of almost 10 times that amount. The overwhelming majority of those are in for drug related and other non-violent offenses, and evidence exists that these increases are along ethnic lines.
- A staff psychiatrist employed by CCA in Florida was caught forcing female inmates to give him private lap-dances.
- In 2010, guards at CCA run Idaho Correctional Center, allowed several inmates to beat another inmate into a coma. It is said that they regularly used inmate violence as a way to gain leverage and maintain control.
- The state of Hawaii has removed all its inmates from private facilities.
- At Elizabeth Detention Center in New Jersey, a CCA run facility, an inmate was left to bleed to death on the floor – for 13 hours.
And yet, GEO Group and CCA among others continue to spend hundreds of millions of dollars every year – over ½ billion just since 2000 – lobbying on both the state and Federal levels. Their combined profits have been 3 Billion dollars since 2010. They lobby for such things as harsher sentences for drug crimes, stiffer mandatory sentences and 3 strike laws. In short, they profit by locking you up, and they are working tirelessly to make that easier to do.
You can see the original report here, but I have embedded it for your convenience.
BitcoDavid is a blogger and a blog site consultant. In former lives, he was an audio engineer, a videographer, a teacher – even a cab driver. He is an avid health and fitness enthusiast and a Pro/Am boxer. He has spent years working with diet and exercise to combat obesity and obesity related illness.
- March 13th Digest Post (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- The More Americans They Put Behind Bars The More Money They Make (infiniteunknown.net)
- Private Prisons: The More Americans They Put Behind Bars The More Money They Make (thedailysheeple.com)
- Private Prisons; Policies & Profits (misbehavedwoman.wordpress.com)
- Happy Birthday CCA! You’re the New Parchman Farm! (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- Deaf CCA Inmate Sues DC for Mistreatment (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- The Theft of Dignity by Pastor Mark Ehrlichmann (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- Amnesty International Petition for Angola 3 Member (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- Wasted Lives – Our Children Die in Adult Jails (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- Event! DeafNation Expo at Gallaudet University (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
Filed under: Embeded Files | Tagged: #JusticeForFelix, BitcoDavid, Correction Corporation of America, Deaf in Prison, Deaf In Prison.com, GEO Group, MARCH! BIRTHDAY MONTH!, Private prison, Private Prisons, Sentencing Project | 2 Comments »