By Pat Bliss
this is an excerpt from a 26 page letter that I received from a Deaf inmate. It was his story about going to medical, that I last posted. He is in solitary confinement now, for trying to help another inmate. Rather than going into all the details of that, I felt I wanted to share this particular portion of the letter with you.
Further, this place is infested with the mice and rats that I told you about before. In fact its more infested with mice and rats since the last time I told you about it. They have had time to breed. Its so full of mice and rats that you have to stay awake when the lights go out or they will actually crawl up on the bunk with you.
They [the cells] have foot lockers bolted to the walls that set higher then the bottom bunk that almost level with the top bunk that these mice and rats will climb up on, run along the foot lockers and jump off in the bunk where you are laying.Me and my cell partner stay up all night when the lights are out to see how many we can kill. We have rat killings. We will take one each of my boots which are heavy and will sit off on the bunk. Be real quiet. Wait for them to start coming in and see if we can hit them with a boot and kill them. So far I have gotten at least one each night. They are quick, I’ll say that for them. Hell, last night I thought I had two I got one then a little while later this one comes off in here. I throughed [throwed] the boot at him he turned sideways from where I hit him. About this time they [DOC] turned the lights on, he was only stunned. I picked up the boot went to hit him with it again. The SOB hunched up his back raised his front two paws and had the hair on this back standing straight up. I thought of Master Splinter the Rat off of Nija Turtles!!
Pat Bliss is a retired paralegal in criminal law. She continues to do legal work for indigent prisoner cases showing innocence. She is a Certified Community Chaplain, Certified as a volunteer for CISM (Crises Intervention Stress Management) and involved in community events.
- Littlest Lovecraft, ‘The Call of Cthulhu’ as an Illustrated Children’s Book (laughingsquid.com)
- New Critical Essays on H.P. Lovecraft (tentaclii.wordpress.com)
- Amnesty International Petition for Angola 3 Member (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- The Theft of Dignity by Pastor Mark Ehrlichmann (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- Team Blood (bitcodavidsboxingblog.com)
- Interview with Moorbey (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- Albert Woodfox’s 40 Years of Solitary Confinement (rinf.com)
- Albert Woodfox’s 40 Years of Solitary Confinement (truthdig.com)
- Wasted Lives – Our Children Die in Adult Jails (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
Filed under: Inmate Letters | Tagged: #JusticeForFelix, Deaf in Prison, Deaf Inmates, DeafInPrison.com, H. P. Lovecraft, MARCH! BIRTHDAY MONTH!, Pat Bliss, Rat, Solitary Confinement, U.S. Prisons | 1 Comment »