As the rock we call home hurtles around that angriest of planets at a mind boggling 67000 mph, I find myself feeling nostalgic. Here then, without further ado, is my list of the past 12 month’s highlights.
- First off, Moorbey’z Blog put us up for the Reality Blog Award. Moorbey has been a great collaborator and contributor to DeafInPrison.com, and I have nothing but admiration, respect and gratitude for all they do.
- Shanna Groves launched her #StopHearingLossBullying program, and I was honored to make the video. Since then, the program has been tagged in every one of our posts. Bullying of any kind leaves lifelong scars and limits people’s abilities. How many Mozarts, DaVincis or Einsteins are we destroying by bullying those who are a little different?
- In March, I attended the Symposium on the Deaf and the Justice System. During lunch, everybody was signing to everybody else, and for perhaps the first time in my life, I had no one to talk to. It was on that day, that I decided to learn ASL.
- My 56th birthday celebration culminated in one of my best Digest Posts.
- Paul Smith has written 2 Supporter Contributions for us, and promises a 3rd. This one is on juvenile delinquency.
- For 11 years now, Pat Bliss has been working on obtaining release for the innocent Deaf man, Felix Garcia. Nobody knows the case better, and Felix calls Ms. Bliss Mom. In June, we published the 2nd embed detailing Felix’s case. The final embeds will be forthcoming. Any questions one might have regarding this tragic story, can be answered within these embedded PDFs.
- July saw the launch of our FaceBook group, ASL Learners by DeafInPrison.com.
- No one can know more about prison life than Glenn Langohr. After all, he spent years living in California’s roughest prisons. Many of those years were spent in the dreaded SHU. Mr. Langohr has moved past all that, and now writes fascinating and intense books about his time on the wrong side of the barbed wire. He contributes to DeafInPrison.com, and I am honored to call him my friend.
- If Dr. Jean F. Andrews can be called the Elton John of Deaf education and psychology, than Dr. McCay Vernon would have been the Mick Jagger. Dr. Andrews wrote her goodbyes in this piece in September.
- Marsha Graham gave us her perspective on juvenile crime. Ms. Graham has been a constant supporter and aid to DeafInPrison.com – and is the individual most responsible for my success as a fledgling signer. She took me under her wing, and patiently tutored me in my early days at the ASL Meetup. She is also a dear personal friend, and I would like to take this opportunity to wish her nothing but the best of luck with her ongoing health concerns.
- Melisa Marzett is another Supporter Contributor. Her first piece for us was about 3-D printing in hearing aid technology.
- Finally, for Christmas came the single cutest video ever shot.
So, while you’re struggling with learning to write 2014 on checks and such, don’t forget to check in with DeafInPrison.com for enlightening and informative reading. Happy New Year, everybody.
BitcoDavid is a blogger and a blog site consultant. In former lives, he was an audio engineer, a videographer, a teacher – even a cab driver. He is an avid health and fitness enthusiast and a Pro/Am boxer. He has spent years working with diet and exercise to combat obesity and obesity related illness.
- 2013 in review (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- Happy Saturnalia to All (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- Happy Thanksgiving and Thank You for Reading Us (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- 3-D printing in hearing aid technology (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- Given the Givens – An Out of the Park Homerun (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- I Liked You Better Deaf, Son Writes a Funny Song for His Formerly Deaf Father (laughingsquid.com)
- Deaf Education at University of Tulsa (deafedtu.wordpress.com)
- Back From the Dead (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- Deaf News: Hope for justice for US Deaf prisoner Felix Garcia as three-part documentary airs on TV (limpingchicken.com)
- EDDD 30 – Signing For the Non-Deaf (lindaghill.wordpress.com)
Filed under: Administrative Information, Awards and Accolades | Tagged: #BetterIn2014, #JusticeForFelix, #Keep ASL In Schools, #StopHearingLossBullying, BitcoDavid, Deaf in Prison, DeafInPrison.com, Jean F. Andrews, McCay Vernon, Pat Bliss | 1 Comment »